So how to get ahold of the mess we have down bore ? I remembered from my oil patch days a tool called a " wall hook " that they would run into the hole to pull broken drill stem to the center of the bore so they could get ahold of it . This basic tool idea is what i modified to not only pull my string to the center but * hopefully* to grab it at the same time . I wanted the tool to be fairly rugged so I designed it to go onto 2" steel pipe for both rigidity and strength.
I also beveled the inside of the bottom nearly to an axe edge level of sharp so that the tool wouldn't " hang " on the shoulder of the T .
From running the cam down the bore we knew that the top of the T was right at 42' below the top of the casing . Steel pipe is supposed to be ( but this can vary ) 21' per joint and we were working about 5' above the top of the well case ( it sets in a well pit ) . So we started down the bore and assembled 3 joints of pipe . right where we should we made contact with the top of the dropped string , and a bit of slack in the wench line coupled with a turn of the 2" via pipe wrench locked us on . I gotta say it worked like a charm .
We started putting pull on the pipe .. and it just sat there .. a bit more pull .. same result , by this time the 1/2 inch steel cable was starting to sing , and putting your hand on the 2" pipe you could feel it vibrate or quiver under the strain . A bit more pull and slowly the pipe began to rise , it was apparent from the weight that we had most if not all of the dropped string attached .
All went well until the last joint , it started looking like spaghetti as it came up
Anyway , thats dryland fishing and I count it as a successful catch because a bit of time and thinking got a " bad drop " out that likely would not have came with conventional fishing techniques and that saved about $30,000 for a new well .