Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day, 2009, and the totems of freedom

 

Here as I type this , its all over but the ring of fireworks , and for some putting the children to bed .  The wife and the daughter drove half way across the county  to watch the fireworks that the area volunteer fire depts put on ( they pool the money donated to put on a show and this year it was in the next town over ) , the son is at his house babysetting his dog , as am I mine  as the “ rockets red glare “ and the happy reports rebound from the tallest structures in town . 

Mother Nature is slowly moving thro our area with her own lightning show that washes out the fireworks , though not enough rain to bother anyone .  This gives a few minutes of peaceful contemplation on just what the 4th means to me , and how that has changed over the years .

As a rural child  I would do anything up to and including an Indian rain dance  to insure rain on or near the 4th .  No rain was simply NO fireworks in our  wheat/grassland .

As I grew ( maturity is still not there ) I came to understand  that the 4th celebrated  the wonderful nation we live in , and paid respect to all who served to make and keep it .

 

Tonight while I removed my carry gun I paused to reflect on today's politics  and again realized that once again the meaning of the 4th has changed for me .

Nowadays  I recognize that   the day celebrates a successful revolution  against unfair oppression . and in that spirit i am going to “ geocache  “  an sks with a sealed tin of ammo .  In the same spirit i will continue to talk to my state reps  who i know , and  contact my national reps in the hopes that one of my grandons can “ dig it up “ .  to have what today is a common rifle , but then might be worth owning .

 

The best to you and yours  on this day .

No comments: